Jump to content

1-11 Channel View

From Bexhill Heritage: Local List
Revision as of 03:33, 22 March 2026 by AlexM (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
1-11 Channel View
LL ref: 291
Start date: 1901
Architect: unknown
Builder: unknown
Original use: Residential
View on map: Local List | Bexhill-OSM

Missing details? Email us.

The roads now known as Channel View East and Channel View West were originally named Pier View East and Pier View West on early development plans. They were designed specifically as approach roads for a proposed pier that was intended to extend from the Kursaal site; however, the pier never materialised, and the roads were eventually renamed. The name "Channel View" was officially established around 1901 as a descriptive name for the wide pedestrian walkway's position overlooking the English Channel. In street directories up until approximately 1915, the area was occasionally referred to as "Channel Side".

The original 1901 plans for the courtyard between the Channel View houses included a 375-foot long swimming pool with seating for 55 spectators, but this project, like the pier, was never completed.

Each terraced property contains two apartments, with the lower level having access to a front and rear garden.